Read and Understand Your Assignment
What information has your instructor given you about your research assignment? Check:
- Your syllabus
- Your notes
- Assignment handouts
Assignment information should provide you with all the information you need to get started and complete the assignment successfully, including the length, focus, format, and purpose of your research.
With the information you have, can you answer the following questions:
- When is the assignment due? Are there dates for submitting a proposal or multiple drafts?
- Is there a page number requirement or speech time requirement? If so, how long?
- How many sources do you need? Are there specific types of sources you must use or cannot use?
If you cannot answer these questions with the information you have, contact your instructor.
In addition to the assignment requirements, you should also consider your own circumstances:
- How busy will you be between now and when the assignment is due?
- When can you schedule time to do research and complete the assignment?
- What strengths do you bring to the project?
- Is there anything you need to learn to successfully complete this assignment?
- Do you know where to go for assistance with research? with writing?