Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates: the COD Library building is closed until further notice.

Library Cards: FAQs

I’m stopping by the Library in-person, what do I need?
Bring your COD student or staff ID card with you if you have one. You may also obtain a Library card by presenting a photo ID, such as a driver’s license, and proof of present address. You must be 18 years of age or older for a District Resident card.
I want a student ID, how do I get one?
Student IDs are issued at the upper level Circulation Desk in the Library as well as at the Office of Student Life.
I need my barcode number; will you send it to me?
Submit the Library card form and we will send your barcode number to the email in your Library record – for students this will be your address at
I lost or forgot my card:
Your Library card, or COD Student ID card, should be presented to check out materials. If you have forgotten your card, materials can be checked out by presenting a driver's license. You are responsible for materials checked out on your Library account, so make sure you know where your card is and report lost or stolen cards promptly.
How do I renew my card?
Registered students, faculty and staff cards will renew automatically each semester District Resident Library cards expire one year from date of issue and must be renewed in-person every year. COD retiree and emeritus faculty cards expire one year from the date of issue. Cards may be renewed in person or by contacting the Library at (630) 942-2106 or emailing Kids and Teens on Campus cards are only for the duration of the course.
I’m a Dual Credit student, how do I get a card?
Once you are registered, fill out the Library Card Request Form for students.
I’m a 3+1 or 2+2 student, how do I get a card?
Please bring a driver’s license or proof of identity along with proof of current enrollment. You will be assigned student status with full student privileges.
I’m with another institution, but take classes on the COD campus.
Students and faculty from other institutions who are attending classes located on the COD campus may obtain a Library card for the duration of the course. Contact Circulation Services for more information.
District Resident Cards:
District Resident card holders may borrow any materials in the COD collection which normally circulate, including books, videos/multimedia, audiobooks and musical recordings. Audio-visual equipment, computing resources, group study rooms, and materials that have been placed on course reserve for student use are not available for checkout to district residents. Electronic collections are only available at COD campus locations, in the Library, and at the College Regional Centers.

Please refer to the District Residents borrowing guide for more details.
COD Retiree cards:
COD retirees may enjoy the same Library privileges as District Residents, regardless of where they live. Present a photo ID and proof of retiree status at the Circulation Services desk to obtain a library card.
Emeritus Faculty and Administrator cards:
Faculty and Administrators who have been awarded emeritus status by the Board may claim special library privileges. Emeritus faculty and administrators will be able to check out COD books and DVDs, use I-Share as regular borrowers (though they’ll need to pick up those items at COD or another I-Share library) access databases from off-campus and request materials through interlibrary loan.
  • URL:
  • Last Updated: Sep 3, 2020 2:56 PM
  • Print Page